Monday, April 1, 2013

DOUGHNUTS


I can't remember what 'wheat' doughnuts take like, but these taste like what I think doughnuts should taste like and my partner, who can still eat 'wheat' doughnuts says these are amazing and he can't tell the difference. 

I no longer have to wish that I could still eat gluten so I could have things like these, I no longer think people who can eat gluten are lucky. These doughnuts make me feel lucky. 

Thank you to whoever it was who came up with this recipe, I can't remember where I got it from it was so long ago the first time I made these. I don't know why I haven't posted this sooner. But whoever you are, wherever you are I love you. These are fantastic and with the recent craze of this 'Krispie Kreme' frenzy everyone seems to be in, I say who needs it when I have these.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup(237ml) soya milk mixed with 1 Tblsp lemon juice (or if you can have dairy use regular milk mixed with the lemon juice or simply use buttermilk)
  • 1/8 cup(30g) butter, melted and cooled
  • 2 1/2 cups(350g) gluten free flour blend ( I use Doves Farm plain white flour blend)
  • 1 tsp xanthan gum (omit this if your flour blend already contains it)
  • 1/2 cup(115g) sugar
  • 1 tsp baking soda 
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
METHOD:
  1. Combine eggs, milk and melted butter in a large bowl. Mix well with a whisk or fork.
  2. Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl and add to the wet. Mix by hand with a large spoon. (Do not use an electric mixer)
  3. Let bater rest for about 15 minutes. Turn dough onto a well floured surface. If dough is sticky, work in more flour until you get a soft dough.
  4. Roll dough to 1/2 inch thick and cut with a doughnut cutter or use one large round cutter about 8cm in diameter and then a small cutter or lid about 2cm in diameter to cut out the middle (unless you are making filled dougnuts, then you do not need to cut out the middle)
  5. Fry the doughnuts in 1 to 3 inches of very hot oil (375 F) until brown on one side. Turn doughnuts over and brown on the other side. I maintained the temperature of the oil using a candy thermometer and adjusted the heat as necessary. If your oil starts to smoke, the oil is too hot, I remember this from the first time I made them and did not have a candy thermometer. Be gentle when placing and turning doughnuts so as not to splash hot oil on yourself and make sure to use a metal or heatproof utensil.
  6. Lift each doughnut out and place on a plate with sugar to coat while they are still warm. Or if you are making chocolate glazed doughnuts, see below.
Chocolate Glaze (optional)

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 1/2 Tblsp melted coconut oil
  • 1 1/2 Tblsp unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 - 2 Tblsp hot water
  • 3/4 cup(85g) confectioners sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
METHOD:
  1. Mix the coconut oil and hot water in a bowl. Sift in the confectioners sugar and cocoa power and mix well. Stir in the vanilla.
  2. Invert the doughnuts and dip into the chocolate glaze. Turn chocolate side up and place on plate or greaseproof paper lined tray to set.
*Note* Like 'wheat' based doughnuts, they are best eaten on the day they are made. By the next day they will be a little stale. But they can be frozen to keep them fresh. This recipe makes about 12 dougnuts. I make half this recipe at a time so I don't have so many. 

For filled doughnuts:

If you are making filled doughnuts, fry them first, then while they are still warm, poke a hole in both sides of your doughnut and use a pastry syringe or long nozzle on your pastry bag and pipe in the filling of your choice until you see the doughnut swell and before it bursts. You will get the hang of it after a couple of doughnuts.
Why not try filling with jam and coat with sugar, or fill with custard and top with the chocolate glaze. The combinations and filling choices are endless I'm sure.


1 comment: